WordPress is the most popular blogging platform on the market. Not only it's free but also open source, which means you have plenty of ways to enhance its functionality. WP is being used by many top bloggers, corporations, and celebrities around the world. It's very simple to use, and there are lots of add-ons and themes available for it.
Choosing a theme for your blog should not be that hard. But you want to make sure you do your due diligence to choose a theme that gives you the best chance to attract more visitors and present information in a more accessible fashion. There are thousands of WP-themes available on the market. But you can not have them all. Here are a few things you need to look for in your next WP-theme:
- Design : a well-designed website has a better chance of succeeding. It's a no-brainer. You should choose a design that is not only easy to use but also allows you to present your information in an appropriate matter. In most cases, you should stay away from dark themes, and you should avoid funky fonts. If you are in doubt, look what other super bloggers are doing with their sites.
- Code : you want a theme that is not only SEO-friendly, but also comes with a clean code. It always helps when you have valid HTML and CSS code.
- Options : the more options you have on your template, the better you can customize it. Take time to try multiple designs to find the one that gives you the best set of options.
- Web 2.0 : it always helps when your theme comes with integrated Web 2.0 tools. That allows you to easily put YouTube videos on your site and submit your pages to bookmarking sites.
- Compatibility : you may think people do not use Firefox or Opera, but they do. Make sure your site is compatible with popular browsers.
At the end of the day, it will be up to you to find out which design works for your site the best. It's a subject matter. At the same time, you should make sure you give your readers a layout that helps them find information fast and share them with others. That way everyone wins.